Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Good News with a Cake

Ok, so I fixed the couch (just for you, Mandy). I went online to get helpful hints as to the best way to do it, but got answers from "just throw the cushions in the dryer for a couple of hours, but make sure they don't touch the back or they'll burn up" to "I simply took the cushion out and used my electric knife to saw it in half and then it dried out quickly." Holy mackerels people- do you KNOW how much this couch cost?! However the basking in the sun on our car seemed to do the trick.
On to better and brighter things; I'm making my very first wedding cake! I'm nervous about it, but fairly confident that it'll turn out. I just don't want it to look like the bride's cousin (me) made it!
I've been making cakes for about a year and a half now, and while I'm still not confident to charge for them, I'm convinced I need to for all the work involved! I've learned many valuable lessons over time like "Aunt Pat's Frosting" is simply the best; Jiffy cake mix is simply the worst; and nothing beats having a sister around to be my sous chef and fill frosting bags and replace tips for me! I'll include a few pictures of past cakes and the like and hopefully after this weekend I'll get home and post a picture of my first wedding cake!

My most recent cake--the traditional bear form from Wilton. It was fun, and don't kid yourself, smoothing an area with a finger dipped in cornstarch is a LOT harder than it sounds!

This is the first fondant cake I did for my sister's birthday. I have some big problems getting it to smooth out--it's never as easy as Wilton makes it out to be! Oh and right after I took this picture Caedmon threw up on the cake from drinking too much pop (I'll spare y'all that picture).
These are cookie bouquets I did for my friend's twin's birthday. Jillian did the cowboy decorating for Maguire and I did the girlie one for Ava.
This is my first baby shower cake (also the infamous Jiffy-made one- yuck!). My friend, Kamber, gave me a b&w picture to go off of but I dolled it up a bit. Jillian did the cookies, I'm just not great at cookies.This is Caedmon's first birthday cake(s). I got the idea from a Wilton book and took it my own direction. It was LOTS of work, but LOTS of fun! My mom helped me a lot and even Mark smoothed frosting on one of the cakes!
Sorry the pictures aren't great, I need to have our resident photographer, Mark, take them for me!

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Beautiful cakes Jordan. That's an awesome talent to have. It would be so fun to be able to do that.

Hope said...

Very impressive! You've got skillz! I'm not even going to show my girls these pics, they would be very depressed about the cakes I have made them in the past. Although, I do have to say that yours were so pretty it almost made me want to take up baking and cake decorating!

natalie said...

have I ever told you how jealous I am of you, your sisters, and your mom's creative talents? okay, probably just a gazillion times!! you're everything I want to be. ugh!!!
But anyway...they're all GORGEOUS!! too bad you don't live close or I'd have you make Eli's first b-day cake (cry!! one years old?!). is there anyway you can package it in a freezer box and mail to me? ;)
and from a previous post---I'm even worse about ignoring my family if there's a computer just a few feet away. what makes it worse is that I work a couple hours a day on here, and then it leads to checking facebook, cloth diaper, and jealousy invoking creative sites. My boys say thanks for giving them 10 more minutes of ignore time with your blog. :)

Marylou said...

Hey..... those are good pictures, I loved seeing them. You are such an artist!

Christie said...

um, omg.

i can't even...

you are...

whoa...

who ARE you?!!?

Marylou said...

So how did the wedding cake turn out?? Inquiring minds want to know.