Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hurricanes Irritate Me

Ok, so the simple fact that we're hundreds of miles inland should be reassurance enough from the threat of hurricanes- right? Wrong, so wrong.
My parents (who live in a Houston, TX suburb) escaped Ike with few inconveniences: raking small sticks and branches from the yard; their pool close to overflowing. Like I said, small inconveniences. The did NOT even hear it when it hit Friday night. However, we in a small Missouri Ozarks town were kept up half the night by winds (44 mph was the highest one recorded last night). And horror of horrors, today after church when Mark went in to take his Sunday afternoon nap in the living room he discovered that my couch, my BRAND NEW BEAUTIFUL COUCH is SOAKING WET! What?!?! The ceiling in the living room leaked all night long soaking the huge cushions!
I'm getting so sick of water (be it contaminated with city sewer*, or just sieved through my attic and ceiling) ruining my things! I've got the cushions outside basking (yes, they're basking--they're on a Siesta Keys beach towel in fact) in the sun on the hood of our car to dry them out. If that doesn't work, I suppose it's thank goodness for renter's insurance. We SO learned our lesson last time* and have that now, and while the sound of gushing water in my house still gives me the shivers I have a certain peace of mind about it now.
Just thought I'd give a shout out of thanks to the stinkin' hurricane that has wrecked a good majority of my past 12 hours.

*Referring to the "Great Flood of '07" where over 2,000 gallons of raw city sewage gushed into our house ruining most of our belongings on the first floor and basement. And when I say "raw city sewage" I mean everything that implies, yes THAT!

5 comments:

emily anderson said...

hi there! how crazy that you have a caedmon anderson?!? what's his middle name? ours is josiah. anyways, i've never met another caedmon...and to have him have the same last name too is pretty crazy! thanks for checking in...and no, i don't think you're a stalker!
keep in touch!

Chandra said...

I am so sorry about your beautiful couch. Thankful it wasn't sewage, still sorry it got soaked. Try to stay dry.

Mandy said...

Sorry about the couch, but it better be dry by the time we visit for Caedmon's birthday! Just joking (sort of)!

Marylou said...

Oh man I am sorry aobut the couch getting all wet, and the trouble of having to fix the roof.... I did not know you had a blog until I got onto facebook this morning! Cool blog. You can check out mine and comment any ole time. I am looking forward to coming to see the newly decorated room, but I too am sorta sad to see Baby Caedmon become big boy Caedmon....

Christie said...

how's the couch doing with the basking?

uh, i didn't know you had a blog. i added you to my bloggers list. sheesh, lady. ya couldda told me!